CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 21, 2024

UW-Platteville student combines passions for history, costume design for unique research

All In Wisconsin: In a collaboration between the theatre program and history department, one University of Wisconsin-Platteville student recently had the opportunity to recreate a historical garment by researching 19th century American fashion using primary and secondary written sources, as well as the artifact collection at The Mining and Rollo Jamison Museum.

1 comment:

Luna said...

I really enjoyed reading this article. I really love costumes and fashion and I want to concentrate in it. While I am not the biggest fan of history, I’ve grown a strong love and passion for art history and I think that these two fields intersect really well. Well I find historical fashion to be interesting. I don’t know too much about it but it’s definitely something I want to dive into more. In my acting class last year we did some period work and we had to wear panniers and corsets. However, the pennies were made out of ribbon and hula hoops, so they were definitely not historically accurate. I think it’d be really interesting to learn about how garments were made in the past when they didn’t have all the newer technology that we do today, however closed then we’re definitely made to last and a lot of it was really heavy and needed to have some sort of structural integrity to it. Things that were also made out of More expensive materials so I wonder what it was like to work with those.