CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Intimacy Directing for Theatre Book Release: Reading Number One

HowlRound Theatre Commons: Dr Ayshia, Charlie Baker, Kaja Dunn, and Kimberly Senior invite you to celebrate the release of the first textbook to address intimacy and consent work in our theatre classrooms. This livestream event celebrates the book release of Intimacy Directing for Theatre: Creating a Culture of Consent in the Classroom and Beyond with selected readings from the textbook and a Q and A.

1 comment:

Aster said...

I’m so excited for this book. Intimacy directing is something I’ve always been interested in. I don’t think it’s a job I could ever do, however I still think it’s interesting. I also think the skills learned through intimacy directing can be applied to many parts of life. I plan on ordering this book and reading it. It’s so cool that I am in Kaja’s class as this book is coming out as I’ve had the privilege of talking to her about it and the people she worked with. They all seem so cool. I will definitely do some more reading of their work. I really like the phrase “let’s make consent contagious.” It definitely made me giggle. I also really like that this book includes trans representation and covers the topic of trans people in theater, a particularly gendered art form. So often we see trans people forgotten or looked over, so it’s nice to see we weren’t forgotten in this book.