CMU School of Drama


Thursday, February 09, 2023

Laika Animation Studio Teases Adaptation of Children’s Fantasy Novel ‘Wildwood’ in New Exhibit

www.thewrap.com: LAIKA, the innovative, Portland, Oregon-based stop-motion animation studio, and the Museum of Pop Culture, a leading-edge nonprofit museum in Seattle, are partnering for a new exhibition that will immerse visitors in the “hidden worlds” of LAIKA’s five magical features. Hidden Worlds: The Films of LAIKA is the largest exhibition LAIKA has ever mounted and sets to focus on the “hidden worlds” of “the [films] magical settings the characters inhabit, and the behind-the-scenes wonders of producing these modern classics.”

1 comment:

Marion Mongello said...

I. LOVE. LAIKA. I could probably write about my love for Coraline for hours, as it is literally one of my favorite movies of all time. The dedication and care that Laika puts into their movies, from puppet design to puppetry to sets to sounds to lighting and sound- its all perfection to me. I just recently watched their new (ish) movie Missing Link, and the design elements were just as brilliant as I expected. Kubo was also an absolutely beautiful movie that had an amazing story and immersive design choices. I had no idea the studio had a plan to release another movie, but I am so excited to hear more about it. The exhibition they are putting together in collaboration with Museum of Pop Culture in Portland, Oregon sounds like an absolute blast, and I wish I could go. Since I probably can’t, I will recommend it to the lovely Oregon resident, Gemma Tait, who I will beg to go and get pictures.