CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 20, 2023

We Talked to Intimacy Coordinators About Penn Badgley’s Viral Anti-Sex Scene Comments

jezebel.com: Penn Badgley shared last week that he’d requested that the number of intimacy scenes in You Season 4 “go from 100 to zero,” explaining that “fidelity in every relationship, and especially my marriage, is really important to me.” While sex scenes for his character, serial killer Joe Goldberg, remain in the season, there are certainly fewer; the scenes lack close-up shots, and clothes mostly stay on.

1 comment:

Sydney De Haan said...


I thought that this entire article was really interesting and brought to light something that doesn’t get addressed a lot and that’s reinforcing how important intimacy coordinators are in today’s entertainment industries. That kind of work is so taxing on an actor especially one that is in a relationship it can feel Like you may be participating in an active infidelity. I once worked on a film set that did not supply the actors with intimacy coordinators and the lead actress who I was getting pretty close with in between takes because I was her wardrobe person on set she expressed to be very early on how this was making her uncomfortable but she felt like she had to do it because she this was the only cake she’s had in months. This was really strange to me especially cause I was so young on this film set only 16 so I wasn’t allowed to be in the room during the filming of that which I think is very fair but this actress was not a whole lot older than I was maybe 19 at the time of filming And I understand it was a smaller production but if you’re going to include a scene like that I think that it’s crucial that those types of boundaries are put in place so the fact that Badgley was able to speak up and set those boundaries I think was really good and I really hope that directors begin to respect these type of boundaries a bit more in the future.