CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 27, 2023

Antisemitic tropes are back on stage again

Dave Rich | The Guardian: Of all the stereotypes about Jews in the lexicon of antisemitism, none is as commonplace or enduring as the one about Jews and money. From Shylock and Fagin to Joe Rogan’s podcast and TikTok videos about the Rothschilds, the idea that Jews have a unique taste for acquiring wealth is the one thing that people think they “know” about them. Yet this historic anti-Jewish trope seems able to hide in plain sight, in the most surprising of places.

1 comment:

Jasper said...

I saw The Lehman Trilogy when it was at the Park Avenue Armory before it came to Broadway. At the time, I thought it was an amazing production and I believe my Jewish grandparents very much agreed. This article may be the first time I have read or heard an opinion that argues that rather than being a great Jewish story, The Lehman Trilogy is actually anti-semetic. Now that I’ve read the article, I definitely see it. As the article says, the lens that the story was told through was a very negative one that emphasized a few specific things about their story, specifically their greed, heartlessness, and failure. This article also argues that the show over-emphasized their Jewishness. I agree with this sentiment. While I like that this story was something that could be told. I think it should have been done in a way that did not intentionally play into harmful anti-semetic stereotypes.