CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Disneyland Character Performers Move to Unionize Via Actors' Equity

Playbill: A collection of Cast Members (the Disney parks' term for employees) has formed a group called Magic United that is distributing union authorization cards to 1,700 employees in hopes that Disneyland will voluntarily recognize the group's unionization. Should they not achieve that recognition, the group would have to file a petition with the National Labor Relations Board in anticipation of an election to make the unionization official.

1 comment:

Theo K said...


I believe I read a similar article around this time last year about disney employees attempting to organize a union through AEA. I am glad the cast members are revisiting this unionization option. I always found the division of unions in disney quite odd. In one show performers can be recognized by up to two unions or no union at all. Over the years I have read many articles about how unfairly disney characters have been treated by disney. I think a totally reasonable next step is to unionize to demand fair treatment. I think it is a little odd that Disney characters chose to unionize under AEA, however I acknowledge that AEA is growing in the groups they represent as they have started recognizing more and more non conventional theater artists. I am curious when AEA as a union will get big enough that it ends up subdividing into multiple unions.