CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 26, 2022

A Theatre Grows in Brooklyn, Seeded by Subscriptions

AMERICAN THEATRE: Super Secret Arts is trying something different. The newly opened theatre in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn is doing its part to shift the economic paradigm around theatremaking. For $25 a month, subscribers receive unlimited access to the theatre’s programming, which includes mainstage productions and a nightly assortment of events, from live music to improv and sketch comedy, from cabarets to open mics and other experimental works.

1 comment:

Liberty Lapayowker said...

The concept discussed in this article referring to basically a monthly subscription to see a variety of performances as many or as little times as you want is something that I feel is what we need right now. As a student in the School of Drama at Carnegie Mellon University, I feel like I get to experience this throughout the year. Although more theatre oriented, our school puts on over 20 productions a year and I get to see every single one of them with free admission and no limits to how many times I can see. Although my situation is a little different, allow people exposure to art for an affordable price, in my opinion, is an incredible way to expose people to the amazing and meaningful pieces that need to be seen. I have learned so much simply by sitting and watching stories that will only be told in this way with these people right then in the moment and can now go on to share my experiences when collaborating with artists myself.