CMU School of Drama


Monday, January 22, 2018

Ridgid R9205 18V Hammer Drill/Impact Driver Combo Kit

Home Fixated: If you’ve ever made holes or driven fasteners for work or play, you know the value of a quality power tool. The Ridgid R9205 brushless 18V compact hammer drill/driver and 3-speed impact driver combo kit we received for evaluation is a pair of high torque, compact tools sure to impress even the most skeptical. If “high torque compact” doesn’t garner your attention, the two 4 Amp-Hour lithium-ion battery packs, lifetime warranty (even on the batteries), and saved greenbacks are even more reasons to give these safety orange monsters the respect they deserve.

2 comments:

Al Levine said...

While this combination hammer drill and impact driver might not be as innovative as the 120v chop saw that could take wall or battery power, this is still pretty cool! However, the ability to combine two 60 volt batteries to get 120 volts DC without wall power? That's crazy! My general understanding is that cordless tools usually have to sacrifice power for portability, but clearly this is no longer the case. Imagine being able to just move such a large piece of equipment about your shop without having to worry about where the nearest power tap is, or stretching a power cable across your work to reach it! That's awesome! This is true innovation that we need. On this tool though, It's nice to see a tool that has a balanced weight distribution, as I've found many of the tools I use or top or bottom weighted and makes using the tool more difficult!

Sydney Asselin said...

In my high school scene shop, we actually had quite a few more impact drivers than we had drills. In my first year there, myself and the other wimpy freshpeople did not have the strength to handle the torque of the drills we had. Because of this, impact drivers hold a special place in my heart. I still prefer impact drivers to drills, mostly because of their seemingly effortless ability to drive into such dense materials (for example, pressure treated 4x4). This impact driver looks much shorter than the Makitas we had and most other impact drivers I've seen (which makes sense, given its "compact" label), which could be extremely useful in those "crawl into that tiny space and screw something in" moments I seem to constantly find myself in. I also appreciate the seemingly excessive LED situation, even if the reviewer did not. If I had the cash, I definitely would buy this Hammer Drill/ Impact Driver Combo Kit.