CMU School of Drama


Monday, January 29, 2018

No, No, No, Joseph: A Review of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at Drury Lane

Newcity Stage: When I arrived to see Drury Lane’s production of “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” I anticipated writing the sort of review where I express that while it isn’t my cup of tea, some people are into musical adaptations of Bible stories and those people should live their best lives.

Alas, my evening was destined to be full of squirmy discomfort while I sat soberly watching the theatrical manifestation of my personal hell.

1 comment:

Shahzad Khan said...

Oh Jesus, this is cringeworthy. Reading the description of the concept and seeing a picture of the production, I thought that I was going to completely disagree with the article. Cher? Britney Spears? I love them both. My jaw nearly dropped when I read the level of ignorance that happened within the production. It just feels like this production was misguided, I still believe in the concept and really do think that it has the possibility to work for the production. I'm not always a fan of reinvention, but I don't think that reinventing this show is too bad of an idea, they just really need to realize that they can in fact do a pop culture version of the show without it being that offensive. The show itself was written as a parody of some sorts, both for the bible and the music of its time (e.g Elvis as the Pharaoh). I am a huge fan of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and I want to see this show doing successfully once again, though I think this production was problematic, I really think that with some aware people on their team, it has the potential to be amazing.