CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 25, 2018

"Somnai" Combines Immersive Theater with Augmented and Virtual Reality

Theme Park University: It’s been a while since we have covered immersive theater here at Theme Park University. The reality is, it has become a category all by itself with new productions popping up weekly around the globe. While they are still mostly confined to major cities, there is some amazing work being done. For example, “Somnai” is a new immersive work debuting just outside of London could be the most technologically advanced we have seen thus far.

1 comment:

Katie Pyzowski said...

This looks so COOL!! I immediately thought of Black Mirror the TV show when I read through the description. I am not a person who trusts technology. I tape over my laptop camera. I frantically hit escape if I cannot figure out how to complete a function. I still send hard copy letters in the real postal service. This experience would give me nightmares for sure. Would I still give it a go? Absolutely! While I do fear a technological uprising, I think the use of technology in theatre is a very interesting one. Watching the trailer for this immersive experience, I see that participants wear VR headsets while also in a room they can walk around. A a participant, that would stress me out – I would be afraid of bumping into things, even if the VR world lined up perfect with the scenery. It also amazes me that the experience is meant to be unique for every person. The creative and technician must have a million tricks up their sleeves and running this "show" must never get boring. I had the chance to work on Togo during Playground, and even though that was a very basic version of a VR theatre experience, I now have a little, very vague idea of how an immersive technology theatre experience is put together. Since my experience working on Togo was a very positive one, perhaps I would consider doing work with immersive theatrical experiences in the future, or at keep more of an open mind about them.