CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Brian Quijada Takes Audiences on His Mother's Immigration Journey in 'Somewhere Over the Border'

onstagepittsburgh.com: Brian Quijada’s Somewhere Over the Border began with “an epic conversation” between the performance artist and his mother. The Yellow Brick Road that twice has intersected with Pittsburgh came later. You may remember Quijada from Where Do We Sit on the Bus?, a genre mashup, presented by City Theatre, that wondered aloud about belonging.

1 comment:

Reigh Wilson said...

One of my peers did a project on the City Theatre and it seemed like a very interesting company. I was very engaged with the work they were doing and after hearing their presentation I went to their website to see their current season. This show popped up and I was immediately curious and intrigued by it. I am fascinated by the concept of merging the well-known Wizard of Oz with an immigration story. I think it is an interesting idea to bridge a topic that is societally “taboo” like immigration with one of the most culturally prominent and loved films in the past generation. I am curious to see where the balance is for the use of source material vs. the original story, as what parts are left in and left out reveal the most about the message the story is telling. I am hoping to be able to get tickets and see the show before the run is over.