CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Review Roundup: Did the Critics Cut Loose at the Kennedy Center's FOOTLOOSE?

www.broadwayworld.com: Footloose stars J. Quinton Johnson (Choir Boy, Hamilton, Broadway Center Stage: In the Heights) as Ren McCormack, Isabelle McCalla (The Prom, Aladdin) as Ariel Moore, Michael Park (Dear Evan Hansen) as Reverend Shaw Moore, three-time Tony Award® nominee Rebecca Luker as Vi Moore (Mary Poppins, the Kennedy Center's Little Dancer), and four-time Tony Award® nominee Judy Kuhn (Fun Home, Les Misérables) as Ethel McCormack.

1 comment:

Elinore Tolman said...

My high school put on a production of “Footloose” and it was one of the most emotionally draining shows I ever experienced. Whenever the show is mentioned, I get flashbacks to the craziness that was that show. Even the Kenny Loggins song puts me in a weird place. So I was drawn to this article to see what critics thought of a more professionally done “Footloose” since I have my own bias. The mixed reactions seemed pretty fair for this show. It’s a difficult one to pull off so it was nice to read that they were able to succeed in numerous aspects, even though some may have faultred. The reviews did do their job of catching my attention. It may be a show that scares me, but I would be lying if I said I’d be interested to see it again, maybe this time not behind the scenes but enjoying it in all it’s cheesiness.