CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Inspiration and Education Bloom in Chicago With Floral Fashion Show Fleurotica

theglowup.theroot.com: Anyone who thinks the most imaginative looks on the runway happen during Fashion Week has clearly never been to Fleurotica, the incredible merging of floral and fashion design that took place at Chicago’s Garfield Park Conservatory on Friday night. Garnering my first invitation to the 11-year-old event this year, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I entered the conservatory’s glorious, palm-filled atrium. But I quickly came to find that the inspiration wasn’t only on the catwalk, but in the mission of the annual fundraiser.

1 comment:

Katie Pyzowski said...

I love this!! I follow the work of a bunch of botanical sculptors already, with my favorite being Azuma Makoto, and I find it so interesting when it becomes a piece that interacts with the human form. Something about having living things on a garment that we would inherently think of as inanimate and dead is incredibly fascinating and mesmerizing. I think it is wonderful that this program exposing teenagers to horticulture, and getting creative minds working on how to incorporate plants into designs. I wish that the plants were more incorporated into the form of the clothing, rather than just being surface level and decorative. In my elective course, we have been talking a lot about how to allow the characteristics of the plant lead you to how the design wants to form. The plants could continue to grow as the garment. You could create ecologies within a single outfit. Incorporating living plants into structures and clothing and other typically industrial or manufactured objects is a field that has incredible potential.