Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Tuesday, September 08, 2026
Pittsburgh CLO and Pittsburgh Public to Merge as Confluence Theater
AMERICAN THEATRE: In the latest news from a historic if bumpy theatre merger between Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera (CLO) and Pittsburgh Public Theater (PPT), a new name for the combined theatre has been announced: Confluence Theater of Pittsburgh. Confluence’s name was reportedly chosen by Pittsburgh residents themselves. According to release from the new company, it will combine the musicals that Pittsburgh CLO is known for with the classic and contemporary plays typically produced by Pittsburgh Public Theater.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am really excited to see what happens with the newly formed confluence theatre. Its cool to be in Pittsburgh right as all this change is happening. I truly hope that this merger can be the start of success for the newly formed company, but I do worry that starting the company with the firing of all employees at the public theatre without removing CLO employees will lead to a sort of power imbalance that leads to conflict within the newly formed company. I understand that they say they are prioritizing legacy employees but with all 11 employees removed from the public theatre and an unknown about how many positions are open and what those positions may be, It seems that the CLO is getting some kind of preferential outcome from the merger. I don’t think that we know enough as the public to truly understand if there actually is a power imbalance or if it just seems that way.
Post a Comment