CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 06, 2023

U2 in Las Vegas: Looking to the Past, Finding a Crazy Vision of the Future

www.thewrap.com: The first lines of the first song that U2 plays during every one of its shows at the Sphere in Las Vegas are a declaration coming from a guy who’s used to declaring things. “I’m ready,” shouts Bono from a small, nearly bare stage in the middle of an enormous and often not-at-all-bare space. “I’m ready for the laughing gas.” And then he really gets to the point. “I’m ready. I’m ready for what’s next.”

1 comment:

willavu said...

First of all, I was not aware of the cultural significance/ love for U2. I have never been a fan really, I know With or Without You, but never listened to an album. But I can appreciate nostalgic music– personally, I love it. Nostalgia is a feeling of comfort and enjoyment. For me, nostalgia isn't a sad thing, memories of listening to the music or in any sense a memory can be idealized. Looking back on something it is so easy to forget about the worries of the time and just live in the past. I think this is why U2’s music has such an impact on people. Music can be seen as escapism– it is something people can zone out to and even live through a concert form which is extremely bonding. With all this said I think the idea of U2 being revived makes sense, I don't know if I will be there for it, but I respect it.