CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Andrew Lloyd Webber: The Closing of ‘Phantom,’ the Loss of My Son and the Future of Broadway

The New York Times: I owe everything to my love of Broadway and its glorious legacy of musicals. So everything I write comes from my childhood dream that I’d make it to the Great White Way. All roads lead to my late friend and collaborator Hal Prince. My association with Hal goes back to 1970, when he sent me a telegram proposing that he direct and produce “Jesus Christ Superstar” on Broadway. It got to me only after the show was already committed. Hal knew of my regret, and we kept in touch.

1 comment:

Selina Wang said...

Ever since ‘Phantom of the Opera’ announced its Broadway closing date, I feel like everyone has been dreading the day approaching. There was suddenly a surge of news coverage over social media platforms about the show and people reminiscing about this great milestone in the history of musical theatre. It’s almost kind of ironic, really, that all of a sudden everyone was/wanted to watch the show on Broadway (and kind of forgetting that the production still tours internationally and is ongoing on West End). As Andrew Lloyd Webber said in this article, “The irony is that this past season was its best ever.” Webber also talked about the passing of his son, which is no doubt detrimental to a parent. Then he mentioned the producing and running costs of Broadway shows and all the logistics of it and there’s just so much complexity going on behind the scenes. Making ticket prices accessible but still ensuring that people get paid, all while trying to not cut budgets on the designs just seems so hard to be achieved at the same time. Will this always be the case for theatres?