CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 07, 2022

Review: Broadway Set Designer Beowulf Boritt on the Magic of Transforming Space Over Time

TheaterMania: One of my vivid memories of the past theater season is seeing set designer Beowulf Boritt standing placidly at the back of the Shubert Theatre during a Monday evening performance. Improbably, he had designed a rotating set for POTUS, knowing that even a slight delay in the turntable had the potential to sap the momentum from this door-slamming White House farce.

1 comment:

Virginia Tipps said...

I was lucky enough to see POTUS this summer and was taken by surprise at the first turn of the turntable. I thought the set functioned perfectly for the show and was a great use of the space. I can't imagine however how stressful it might've been if the rotation hadn't been perfectly timed. I didn't know before reading this article that Boritt had written a book and now I have to add it to my reading list. This article is great about giving us a look into the life of a scenic designer on the highest level. I think it’s great that the book includes Harold Prince and Boritt’s sketches and drawings, what a cool tool for young designers to have. I love what he had to say to Sondheim about success in the theatre. And his advice “don’t be an asshole” is always a good place to start.