CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 07, 2022

5 Questions with artist and community builder Caroline Yoo

Visual Art | Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh City Paper: Caroline Yoo is bringing people together as an artist and community builder in Pittsburgh. Through the mediums of photography, installation, video, and performative art, her works stem to create safe spaces and prompt provocative questions. Yoo is currently an MFA candidate at Carnegie Mellon University, is part of the artist collectives JADED and HWA Records, and has exhibited work in Los Angeles and Pittsburgh, including at the Carnegie Museum of Art.

1 comment:

Keen said...

Yeah, this gets me thinking a lot about the definitions of Asians versus Asian-Americans, nationalities, nationality-Americans, what have you. [I just took a five-minute break here to block a bunch of Uju Anya haters on Instagram but now I am back and thinking about this again] I am gonna hurl thinking about it too much actually. I can't articulate it. Something about the generalization of continents, maybe. Or the imposition of the label, maybe. I don't really have a choice EXCEPT to be Asian-American. I also think about Asian joy a lot, too. I, like Yoo, am refabricating my existence. I, like Yoo, channel myself into what I do. Everything I'm feeling right now is oscillating wildly between neutral erring on the side of positive and neutral erring on the side of negative. Don't know where I'm going with this, but hey, yay for Caroline Yoo. I might be following her more closely.