CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 27, 2022

How the Elaborate Costumes of 'House of the Dragon' Came to Be

www.harpersbazaar.com: For a show like House of the Dragon, the audience’s expectations are astronomically high—every detail needs to be executed flawlessly. So it makes sense that HBO brought in the big guns: Jany Temime, veteran costume designer. Her IMDb credits stretch back to the 1970s and include more recent blockbusters such as six of the Harry Potter films, Black Widow (2021), Judy (2019), and not one but two James Bond films, Skyfall (2012) and Spectre (2015).

1 comment:

Jordan Pincus said...

So, I have never seen Game of Thrones. I’m not sure if I ever will. However, I do know that the production design on that show is a feat. Of course, my heart lept a bit when I saw that Temime worked on six of the Harry Potter films. I found the research process interesting - choosing certain historical periods and empires that fit the vibe, so to speak. Because the setting is fictional, a designer can only draw inspiration - as opposed to finding research - to aid their creative choices. I’m curious what she means when she says that to make a fabric look worn, she “breaks it down.” Wearing in the fabric is different than dirtying it (like in Annie or Newsies, etc.), and I wonder what specific things about the garment turn it from looking visually like a “costume” into a real piece.