CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 20, 2022

The Immersive 5 with Brian Sanders, founder of JUNK

by Noah J Nelson | Sep, 2022 | No Proscenium: Since 1992 choreographer and dancer Brian Sanders has challenged the idea of what a dance concert can be with his company JUNK. More precisely Brian Sanders’ JUNK, so you get the full effect of the company’s sense of humor. From visual arresting acts that mix symphonies with circus arts to interactive, video game like constructions that pit dancers and audiences against each other in play combat.

1 comment:

Sophie Rodriguez said...

I have been to immersive art exhibitions, but I have not really experienced immersive theatre. I’ve heard about it; I feel like I have friends that have gone to these types of performances, however, I personally have not run into any. I would love to get to see the production side of these events and be in the room to hear what those conversations consist of. I’m used to working on shows that solely perform for the audience, not involve them, I’m sure that leads to so many additional conversations and questions involving the creation, budget, and fabrication of this type of performance. I also wonder if/how these types of productions have changed due to the pandemic, how did it change the type of audience integration that occurs? Keeping in mind things like space, contact, and technology. I’m looking forward to one day experiencing this myself and seeing what that brings to me inspirationally or job/career-wise.