CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 19, 2022

Heathers Writers Laurence O’Keefe and Kevin Murphy Break Down the Musical’s Full Album Track by Track

Playbill: When Heathers: The Musical debuted Off-Broadway in 2014, the rock musical gained a cult following just like that of its cinematic predecessor. Written by Laurence O'Keefe and Kevin Murphy, the musical adapted Daniel Waters’ film about Veronica Sawyer’s quest to fit in with the hottest high school clique, the Heathers (Heather Chandler, Heather McNamara, Heather Duke), while falling for an unhinged vigilante classmate.

1 comment:

Gaby F said...

I’ve been a fan of Heathers since a lifetime ago when I first got into musical theater. It’s a really insightful show that discusses dark subjects in a totally casual light, something that is rarely done successfully. I had a great time reading the little descriptions the writers had to say about them. These made me able to reminisce on my years casually following along, which I appreciate. I enjoyed how reading the bits has now made me listen to the show in a different light. It also serves as a nice reminder that theater changes. We have the agency to make changes to the source material (on occasion) in order to keep it relevant to us. As we move forward and are able to allocate more resources to thinking more about how we communicate with one another we can also make sure the pieces we work on move with us. That’s something very unique about performance that lends differently to most other art mediums.