CMU School of Drama


Monday, January 11, 2021

Out of the Darkness: A “Visit” with Lighting Designer Japhy Weideman

The Theatre Times: “That’s what we as lighting designers do – we observe, interpret, and find ways to recreate an emotional response without directly telling an audience how to feel.” Before he designed the explosive lighting used for one of Broadway’s biggest blockbusters, Dear Evan Hansen, designer Japhy Wiedeman created the haunting, macabre and beautiful world for the 2015 Broadway production of The Visit.

1 comment:

Ariel Bernhard said...

I really like Japhy Weideman’s description of the role of a lighting designer. It was very well put, and while I definitely knew of Weideman primarily for his work with Dear Evan Hansen, I had heard of The Visit. I just did not have the opportunity to attend it myself. It seems like an excellent production. I did not realize he also worked on Bright Star. He definitely has an impressive show history. I love his comment that he aspires to refrain from sticking to a mold. It is also nice to hear about his learning from experience. I was surprised and impressed to hear that he refrained from using any gobos. The production photos are stunning. I love how Weideman balanced the bright white and intense colors. I also enjoyed the comparison of The Visit and Dear Evan Hansen. All of his points, prompted by the interviewer or otherwise, were incredibly crafted and painted a wonderful picture of his process and choices.
-Ariel Bernhard