CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 04, 2024

‘Peter Pan’ star Raye Zaragoza brings powerful representation to role at Nederlander Theatre

Chicago Sun-Times: "Peter Pan" is flying again in a revamped take on the Tony Award-winning show beginning March 26 at the James M. Nederlander Theatre. While the story’s lead character remains steadfast about never wanting to grow up, the team behind the stage production has found a way to beautifully evolve J.M. Barrie’s 100-year-old classic. And it’s a Neverland that we’ve never seen.

1 comment:

Helen Maleeny said...

This was a great read, I had no idea about this production and it’s so awesome what they're doing! I actually don't think I’ve seen a stage production of Peter Pan, though I grew up on the movie adaptations and on the book. I was such a big fan of Peter Pan, and the childhood wonder that they discussed in the article, wanting to run around with the lost boys and sword fight and fly, all those fun things. Though looking back now I realize that there were a lot of stereotypes despite the story also having so much joy and magic in it. And I think it’s really incredible and important how this production is looking at that, and altering it slightly to better represent Indigenous culture and push back on those original stereotypes, that I feel like could not only improve the representation in the play but also enrich the story.