CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 03, 2023

Lifting the lid on 25 years of Truss Aluminum Factory

TPi: Notwithstanding a global pandemic and a financial crisis, TAF has gained a reputation as a stalwart of the truss industry – from the TAF headquarters and factory in Olomouc, Czech Republic, to TAF USA, TAF Hong Kong, and its newest office that will open soon, TAF UK. TAF aims to continually increase its market share across Europe, the UK, the Americas, the Middle East and Asia via its offices and dealer network, while pushing the standards of aluminium truss and support structures.

2 comments:

Leumas said...

I don’t think that I have heard of TAF before, but this article did make me think about how important aluminum truss is to the entertainment industry. It provides a stable structural element that we can use both for constructing hanging positions for lights and sound equipment, as well as for the construction of staging and other structures.
All of that being said, I am wondering how the amount of trusses needed in the industry will change in the next couple of years. On one hand, some tours are becoming larger and larger such as Taylor Swift’s eras tours. On the other hand technology like the sphere which has premiered in the past couple of months reduces the necessity of a large amount of truss for staging. A production that uses large amounts of video content or happens in a dedicated performance venue such as the Sphere may not use as much truss.

Esther said...

This article is not something that I heard about before reading it. I think that it is important to realize how our industry works in different ways and what measures they take to advance the production of the shows to make an audience entertained and to make a production extremely successful. I think that using a truss system can be extremely terrifying. I am not one to be afraid of heights. I just think that many people have too much trust in certain aspects of production without checking in and making sure it is safe before they go onto certain truss systems. There are many scenarios that go on in my head to make sure everything on a stage is okay, this might just be because I have experience in stage management and making sure the actors are always safe on stage but it is the first place my mind goes to.