CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 13, 2023

Intimacy choreographers working with Chicago theater companies

Chicago Sun-Times: Sheryl Williams knew the kiss was a trick — that’s how the stage direction described it. But after her male lead twitched his head from her cheek to her lips, as he was supposed to, she froze. The actor had slipped his tongue into her mouth. “I said my two lines as stiffly as I could,” Williams said. Williams confronted the actor a few moments later backstage and warned him never to do it again. He didn’t.

1 comment:

Emily Carleton said...

It is a great step in the right direction providing classes on intimacy and creating a standard of rules. I know here in the School of Drama stage managers take a class on Equity and I believe it includes some of the basics on intimacy training, which is good, but I hope performers are also given this opportunity so they understand the basics and can advocate for themselves. It is important to note that the leaders of I.D.C. are aware that their group mostly consists of white, heterosexual, cis-women and are trying to expand to fit more demographics. I think this change is not only rooted in the MeToo movement, but also in a post-pandemic world. Even physical contact like a friendly pat on the shoulder didn’t happen for eighteen months. This kind of reset of our societal norms has made people more understanding about the need for intimacy training even for simpler scenes.