CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Interview: Heidi Blickenstaff on Why JAGGED LITTLE PILL Feels 'So Personal'

www.broadwayworld.com: Broadway staple Heidi Blickenstaff first played the leading role of Mary Jane Healy in Jagged Little Pill when the musical reopened on Broadway after the height of COVID-19 pandemic. Now, Blickenstaff's back in Mary Jane's shoes for the national tour, once again playing the opioid-addicted, suburban Connecticut mother trying to hold it all together while expressing all of her emotions through Alanis Morrisette's songs.

1 comment:

Hailey Garza said...

When the Jagged Little Pill tour came through Pittsburgh a few months ago, I was lucky enough to see it on a whim and see it for free. I haven’t seen many professional theatrical shows, but Jagged Little Pill might be my favorite show I’ve ever seen. I enjoyed reading this article to hear about Heidi’s experience playing MJ. I can just tell she has so much passion behind this role, and even though it may be challenging, she does it very well. Hopping back into theatre after the pandemic was hard for everybody, especially for those on Broadway. The character she plays and how she portrays MJ is a role that many people can look at, relate to, and find hope and inspiration in. I especially liked where she said that art “helps the artist, but it also helps so many other people” because I think that is so true.