CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Diep Tran Is Excited to Lead Playbill—Well, Excited and Scared

AMERICAN THEATRE: Diep Tran and I worked together at this magazine for nearly a decade, and if I may say so myself, those were exciting and interesting times for American Theatre, not to mention for the American theatre. In her writing for the magazine she covered everything from trends in immersive theatre to plays about young girlhood, from the crushing impact of student debt to the struggles of survivors of abuse and harassment in the workplace, from leadership turnover to the economics of Off-Off-Broadway.

1 comment:

Monica Tran said...

No ya wanna know what this is cool as shit. I'm sure this has lost its charm on white people but it's not every day that you get to see someone who has the last name Tran be the editor in chief for a theater website. Call me a goober but I think it's rad! I couldn't really relate to much of what she was talking about regarding like writing for journals but what was impressed upon me in this interview with her is that the sentiment of trying not to say anything about race but reading in between the lines in the article it definitely felt like she was surprised based on her ethnicity that she got this job. She backed up her career with her older articles and they're so good! It's this little bit of visibility that I cherish when it comes my way so thank you. This was cool.