CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 27, 2020

Lightwright LLC: A New Future for Lightwright

LiveDesignOnline: John McKernon and Sam Molitoriss today announced the formation of Lightwright LLC, a new home for future Lightwright development, support, and sales. “Since the first sale of ALD in 1984, Lightwright’s reach has expanded every year, but it also means that running the business as a one-man operation has become more and more difficult,” says John McKernon, the author of Lightwright and sole owner of John McKernon Software since 1979.

1 comment:

Josh Blackwood said...

I know Sam. Good for him and this next venture. Though I am not sure that this will change the industry all that much. Sad for the folks at City Theatrical though. When I purchased my student copy, they were super helpful. It will be nice the have everything under one roof and hopefully they will use this as an opportunity to really step up the design of new software upgrades, but also, not charge for those upgrades either. It’s not fun that in our industry, several of the major software that we use charges an upgrade fee on their products. This is not a way to keep me as a customer for life, especially when I am starting out as an early career. I understand that you need to make money but you shouldn’t need to charge existing customers for a new version. I also hope that, as the article mentioned, this will serve as a chance for LW to work with other companies like ETC, HighEnd, Vectorworks, and others on better software and data integration. The easier I can make data sharing in my files, the better for my workflow. Import is a great feature. Copy and paste? Not so much.