CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 27, 2020

How I Did That: Converting REMNANT into a Digital Experience

LiveDesignOnline: I’ve been a company member with Theater Mitu, a Brooklyn-based arts collective, since 2006, and my fellow company members are my longest and most fruitful collaborators. For the first six years of my work with the company, we operated in a very standard manner, wherein different people had different roles within the production: I was the sound designer, someone else was the set designer, a different group of people were the performers, etc.

1 comment:

Andrew Morris said...

There is nothing more I love than reading of innovative theatre making and artistry happening across the East river in my home borough of Brooklyn. Reading about their unique approach at Theatre making is very interesting and really reminds me of Carnegie Mellons push for interdisciplinary collaboration between different mediums.
Theatre Mitu, a Brooklyn Arts collective, decided in 2013 to shift from the traditional model and into an anti-disciplinary practice that opens the realms of design, performance, management, and so on. I loved the choice to have the audience members listening to the performance on a set of headphones, it was a very interesting choice given the very personal nature of the content of the show and the subject matter which dealt with loss, death and war. The challenge that they then faced after the pandemic was how to translate this very unique performance to an online virtual medium. The group really grasped the concept of creating a unique experience that pushed the boundaries of performance and art, so the creators embraced the challenge and took it as an opportunity to create something truly unique.