CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 17, 2020

3 Epiphanies That Made Me a Happier Sound Engineer

Pro Audio Files: Work satisfaction and happiness often go hand-in-hand. Regardless of whether determining self-worth based on the success of your career is right or not, it’s undeniable that it can have a huge impact on your everyday ability to enjoy life and feel fulfilled. Today, I’d like to talk about three key conclusions I’ve come to during my career in audio. These conclusions have allowed me to maintain a healthier work life and prevent work problems from “getting to me” as easily.

1 comment:

Elliot Queale said...

I always enjoy reading these sound engineering articles, and this one is no exception. The three recommendations here are really nothing entirely new, but everyone has their own unique perspective that is valuable in its own right. The first 'Epiphany' the author lists is "It’s the Ear, Not the Gear", a sentiment that is so important for young designers. The analogy about a good guitar in a novice's hands is a perfect example of expense vs experience. Trusting what you hear and not what you buy is so important at all levels of theatre (and across all disciplines in a sense). I remember taking a sound design class and my professor telling me to listen to my final project on every speaker I could get my hands on. Hearing a mix on a bunch of speakers of ALL qualities gave me so much more perspective on the mix itself, independent on the gear it was played on. The second epiphany is that perfection is subjective. In theatre, there are so many ways to use sound in the space, that there really isn't a perfect way to design a show. If you are able to convey an emotion or feeling, then that's perfect for you! Finally, "Frequent Completion is the Key to Success" cannot be overstated. Finishing projects is so vital in developing as an engineer or whatever design discipline you are working in. All too often we give up, and in many ways that wastes all the time you had invested into that project. These are great tips for really anyone in the theatre design world.