CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Milwaukee Pliers - A Gripping Look At A Plethora Of Pliers

Home Fixated: Quick: What’s a tool that’s cordless, brushless, inexpensive, and a necessity in almost every tool collection? If you guessed Pliers, you’re either psychic, or you read the title above. In either case, you’re right. Pliers may not be the sexiest tools in the box, but when you need to pull, twist or get a grip on something, chances are it’s time to get a pair. The folks in Red make an incredible variety of these squeezable little tools, and they sent us an assortment to check out. Join us as we take a gripping look at as many Milwaukee pliers as we can squeeze in.

2 comments:

Cooper Nickels said...

These all look pretty good, but I have some fundamental issues with a lot of the major features that they are dealing with here. First off, the new thumb screw that they are lauding as a major improvement seem like they are not that big of an improvement than the traditional screw on the vice grips. Also, it is made out of plastic which is not what you want when you are talking about high amounts of torque. I can not image putting a screw driver in there to tighten it down without it breaking clean off. All of the handle covers look to me like they will slip right off the handles which I can not stand. The grip should really be fixed onto the handle of the pliers. There is not really another way they can work well. Over all I am sure this suite is fairly high quality, but I am not totally sold on it yet.

GabeM said...

Even before I read a word of the article, I already got aggravated with the slippery red “grip” that Milwaukee puts on all of their pliers. My biggest complaint with the so-called grip is that it is smooth plastic, and when I am working hard on something, the slightest amount of sweat just leads to the pliers falling right out of my hands. However, after reading the article, I realized that the grip is not what was being focused on. Most of the information seemed like common sense and goes with the saying, “if it’s hard work then you are doing it wrong.” The concept behind the redesigned thumb screw on a set of vice grips seems odd because I do not think I have ever once tightened the tool after I clamped it down on something. The squeezing force is much more efficient than the twisting force associated with the thumb screw. Might be a good idea, but I just can’t see the significance until I am faced with that particular problem.