CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Microsoft Surface Studio 2 Review: An Actual Pro's Take

gizmodo.com: The Surface Studio 2 isn’t supposed to just be Microsoft’s answer to the iMac or an alternative to a gaming desktop. It’s a machine built for designers, animators, artists, and other people who spend most of their day hunched over a giant display with a stylus in their hand, which is what I do as a creative producer here at Gizmodo. I edit videos, which means I need a good amount of power, but I’m also animating and designing a lot of the graphics you see on videos across all of Gizmodo Media’s properties. So the Surface Studio 2, which is supposed to mix power with an attractive and functional design is supposed to be perfect for people like me, and in many ways, it delivers on that promise.

1 comment:

Al Levine said...

The Microsoft Surface Studio has a really fascinating form factor, and I actually looked at it when I was purchasing a new desktop computer last year. As a machine built for designers, animators, artists, and other people who spend their days hunched over a display with a stylus in hand, it seems very suited to the work I do here in the School of Drama. With a 28" display with a 4000 by 3000 resolution, I would have SO MUCH space for productivity programs! Moreover, I would have an endless canvas in AutoCAD, which is worth its weight in gold. However, my major issue with this machine is its internals and lack of upgrade-ability. The internals are on par with my laptop insofar as processing power, RAM, and graphics are concerned. However, like a laptop, modifying and upgrading the internals are nigh impossible, as the machine is not designed for that in the way that most desktop machines are. I really wish I could purchase just the display, and attach a regular desktop machine to it!