CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 26, 2019

5 Best Compressor Plugins for Mixing

Pro Audio Files: Option overload is a very real thing, particularly in the world of compressors. Compressors tend to be a little daunting to learn to begin with, as there’s a lot they can do (I have a comprehensive course on it if you want to understand compression thoroughly). Couple that with the fact that almost every software brand has its own compressor series and you’ve got an overwhelming number of options.

1 comment:

Margaret Shumate said...

Being honest, effects processors, including compressors, are probably my weakest point in sound. I just never really learned how to use them. I figured out the basics myself, but I couldn’t tell you the pros, cons, or differences of really any two compressors, beyond the differences in the controls, and depending on the compressors, maybe the difference in the resulting qualities of the sound. Even then, I wouldn’t have the foggiest idea how to get from dry to that point with a particular compressor. It would pretty much be guess and check. All that to say that articles like this can be helpful, but I wish there were more that explained in detail what makes a compressor do certain things. Saying “this compressor is good” is a little helpful, and saying “if you want this effect, do this with this compressor” is a little more helpful, but what would really help me (and really anyone that hasn’t studied this kind of thing or has years more experience than I do) is “if you want this effect, that is achieved by this certain quality of the sound, and this is what these two parameters do to the sound, and thats why adjusting these two parameters in this way can give you this effect.”