CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 24, 2019

The Top 100 Greatest Tours of All Time

www.vividseats.com: "I saw them on tour."

Five words that nearly every music fan has uttered.

Seeing a live performer on tour forever links both artist and fan to a particular venue, on a particular date, in a certain moment in time. Sometimes, the tour has a special, personal meaning to the individual fan, like the first time seeing a show with a future spouse. In other instances, a concert tour transcends live events and is a cultural moment.

1 comment:

Briana Green said...

Anyone who knows me knows that music is one of the loves of my life. Being able to physically see an artist perform live is one of my favorite experiences in life. I’ve been to countless concerts and tours, and I can’t wait to go to more this upcoming summer. My only issue with this article is that most of the tours on the list are 25 or more years old. While I couldn’t tell if it was based off of ticket sales or just what the author’s opinion is, it definitely has its problem with dating and genre. I’m a lover of rock, especially classic/grunge, but it feels like those bands dominate lists like this. I’m also a lover of Beyonce and literally everyone would tell you that her tours are some of the best ones live. Yet she doesn’t make the list? I know it’s based on opinion but if you’re a major ticket-selling company, you should consider your broader and younger audience.