CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Video Interview With Harvey Goldsmith: 'Losing $5m On A Tour Now Doesn't Mean Anything'

Pollstar: It's a mess. The state of the world is a mess. We have governmental problems in the UK, where we're dealing with this whole issue of Brexit, which is a mess, and where members of parliament don't agree with what the public want, and it's awful.

We have financial problems in Europe, we have problems with America, where the government's currently shut down. That's not a good start of the year, and we have problems with America and China, and America and Russia...we are in a very messy state globally at the moment.

But nevertheless, entertainment continues and is as strong as ever.

2 comments:

Iana D said...

Won’t lie, I didn’t know who Harvey Goldsmith was before watching this interview, but I gained immediate respect for him and his opinion after reading that he was behind LiveAid (you can catch myself and Margaret streaming Queen’s performance on the projector in 33). I really appreciated that he touched on the business, commercialization, and greed involved in live entertainment these days – and I suppose for a while now. It saddens me that the entertainment industry has turned into just that, and industry. Pumping out content for money and cheap thrills rather than focusing on the artistry and process of creation. Now and then I worry about the future of theater when I look at television, film, and music. But I hold out hope that there will always be people inexplicably tied to and appreciative of the arts in their purest form.
He even touched on that when he mentioned the independent companies that are working the change the industry or at least move it in the direction that they want to see it move it, which is generally away from the commercial. This gives me hope as well.

Ella R said...

This is the most honest interview I’ve seen about the entertainment industry in a long long time. I think that Harvey Goldsmith is a really intelligent and interesting human. The fact that he acknowledges the evolution of the entertainment industry going from being oriented in creativity into being focused on producing a high quantity for the money. Yet, it’s still successful, and he is fully aware of that. I also love the part of the interview about how the entertainment industry has created a “civil service.” I’ve always acknowledged that having a job in the entertainment industry means long hours, but because of my love for the work, the hours are just another part of the work, not a drawback. The passion that accompanies that mentality is obviously not fostered in the entertainment industry at large, or at least Harvey Goldsmith appears to think that. Because the industry has become more money oriented, the emotional and creative part of the work has become second to the monetary value on a project.