CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, January 30, 2019

It’s Noh, It’s Viewpoints—It’s Superdrama

AMERICAN THEATRE: Last spring I found myself in Castelfiorentino, Tuscany, a sleepy hamlet nestled into the voluptuous green hills of central Italy. It was April 7 and I was sitting in the foyer of the Teatro C’art, where a milling crowd was waiting to see SALT (The Marvellous Puppet Show) by the visiting multinational theatre company Bämsemble, which are based in Milan and Turin. Teatro C’art’s resident company is primarily a clowning ensemble, and the walls are scattered with framed photos of past productions, all featuring images of the classical European clown, some with white face, all with red noses, pictured among surrealist props radiating whimsy.

1 comment:

Elizabeth P said...

When I clicked on this article, I did not realize that it would lead me down so many wormholes. First I had to investigate about the playable building. The author mentioned the stair handrails being tuned to specific pitches, now, I have never considered a building to be a musical instrument, so I looked up some videos to see if I could even get into my head what this might be like. I couldn't really find anything specifically. While this was mildly disappointing, reading the synopsis and vision behind the show made up for it. This idea of a puppet show within a show, paired with striking visuals makes for an almost Cirque type experience, but something completely new altogether. The art form itself is pretty old, coming from multiple parts and times of the world, but there's a very modern flair to create the sort of organized chaos on stage. Projections and acrobatics will definitely make this appealing to the eye. I really wish that this company would travel in or around Pittsburgh so I could see SALT for myself.