CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 12, 2020

It's About Time: Growing As An Audio Professional While Keeping An Eye On The Work/Life Balance

ProSoundWeb: In case your Apple watch is on the fritz, I’d like to offer a friendly reminder that there are only 24 hours in a day. What we do with those hours is often dictated by our current occupation in professional audio, but sometimes the choice is actually our own. You may be an audio engineer on tour or employed at a venue, or perhaps your role in the industry keeps you closer to home working at an office that services audio clients. Either way, if you’re lucky, you’ll occasionally get a few hours or even a few days off.

2 comments:

Mia Zurovac said...

This article is so important! I feel like everyone should read this and truly digest what this means. I feel like everyone goes through times where they feel like work is the one and only thing they can and need to do. The statement at the beginning is as simple and straightforward as a time management goal should be. They said they want a balance but let it go if they fall short. I think this is something that everyone in college should read, especially CMU. It’s so easy to get caught up in your work and forget to live. Although being a hard worker and a task oriented person/student is great, you always start to lose sight of who you are and what you want. This not only creates a distance between you and your personal goals, disregarding college, but can lead to depression and anxiety, like it did for me last year.

Bridget Doherty said...

This article really came at a good time for me. I’ve been struggling with work/school/life/whatever balance this semester especially, as assignments, projects, and crew calls pile up on my weeks. While this article didn’t provide any solutions for this continual balancing act, it showed me that I’m certainly not alone in worrying that I’m never spending my “free” time as well as I should. It’s important to take breaks and do fun things and take time for yourself, but I always catch myself feeling bad about doing that, or getting mad at myself for wasting my precious 168 hours in a week. Also, I always feel like I could be wasting my time in more productive ways, or using it to learn something new. But then I get burnt out if I go, go, go all of the time. The balancing act in life is constant, and I wonder if it’ll ever get easier.