CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Mixing Evolution: Key Steps In The Journey To The Digital Console Platform

ProSoundWeb: Recently I was asked to mix a live show on a console that could only be controlled via a tablet, and I found myself arguing quite strongly that a dedicated control surface was needed to do the job properly.

I have nothing against these types of mixers, particularly in situations where space is limited, costs are an issue or where it’s not possible to put a console out front. They can be very handy – but they’re no substitute for a proper control surface.

1 comment:

Elliot Queale said...

This became more of an article about the history of audio mixers rather than a state of the union when it comes to their digital sibling, however this was still a good read and very informative! The first paragraph really grabbed my attention since I have a digital mixer that can only be controlled using a tablet or computer. I have a lot of love, though, for the classic analog consoles since that is what I grew up using. I think it is something everyone should learn how to do to start, since the digital console terminology and structure evolved from these analog systems. It also gives you the motor skills of what it is like to 'feel' the sound change. The article then goes through the basics of how audio mixing came to be, from basic PAs up to where we are now. The author then caps the article by saying he believes that this 'tablet' interface is an offshoot, not an evolution, of console design, and while I agree with that sentiment I don't think it gives enough credit to these computerized mixers. Sure, I like to get my hands on faders and fingers on knobs, but I also love mixing off my tablet. Better yet, I find that the paperwork and setup aspects of things to be a piece of cake, meaning I have more time to actually design and shape the sound as opposed to fiddle with equipment. I don't think they will replace consoles for sure, but I do think they can have real functional use in our industry.