CMU School of Drama


Thursday, February 27, 2020

A Parade of Earthly Delights: Floating Bosch Parade Celebrates Painter Hieronymus Bosch in Spectacular Aquatic Event

Colossal: A floating parade dedicated to painter Hieronymus Bosch (previously) honors the artist’s fascination with the fantastical and absurd in an annual event that embodies his philosophy and aesthetic. The 2019 occurrence of the Bosch Parade included a musical performance played on a partially submerged piano and a scene with two people straddling enormous horns, just two of fourteen vignettes devoted to an evolving story about “power and counterforce, battle and rapprochement, chaos and hope.”

2 comments:

natalie eslami said...

This Bosch Parade is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before—and I’m so incredibly intrigued by it. First of all, a parade on water?! Maybe it’s just me, but this is so original and I don’t have any recollection of an expression of art in this way! Before the theme of this year’s Beaux Arts ball was announced, I had never heard of Hieronymus Bosch, but in the last few weeks I’ve researched his work and definitely sense the themes of power, battle, and chaos. I think it’s really interesting that this water parade hasn’t chosen to honor him by replicating his work so closely, but rather has seemingly done so by using his themes. I also think it’s really neat that it’s not just a parade on top of the water, but that they use their environment and incorporate it into the spectacle. It seems like music is involved as well, and I’d be curious to see a video of how this all works in real time, accompanied by the sounds!

Jillian Warner said...

Wow I really love how creative this parade is! When I read the title of this article I immediately thought of the College of Fine Arts’ Beaux arts ball at cmu that is happening in April because their theme is Bosch’s triptych painting the Garden of Earthly Delights! As a costume designer, I am really excited for the ball! The parade has some insanely cool floats, especially the silver and gold spider-looking contraptions! Also, the bird that’s made out of what looks like bamboo sticks! The parade is described as a musical and theatrical event. I would love to witness it some year! It looks like it would be really something to watch! The piano float is very impressive as well! I’m sure it was a lot of work to engineer that! This article is inspiring me to research and come up with ideas for my costume for the Beaux arts ball!