CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 13, 2021

Hans Christian Andersen Museum

curator Henrik Lübker | blooloop: Denmark’s groundbreaking new Hans Christian Andersen Museum opened on 30 June 2021. Located in Odense, the city where Andersen was born, the H.C. Andersen House covers an area of 5,600 square metres and is designed by the Japanese architect Kengo Kuma. Exploring Hans Christian Andersen’s life, work and literary universe, the museum fuses architecture, technology and artistry to depict his stories, featuring the work of twelve international artists.

1 comment:

Jeremy Pitzer said...

I adore this museum and I want nothing more than to hop a plane and fly to Denmark to visit it. I have loved fairy tales, and especially the original versions of them from authors like the Grimm Brothers and Hans Christian Anderson (I was a weird kid). And I’ve always been fascinated by the bits that were changed to suit a disney family audience and the parts that have enough whimsy to stay the same. I think the museum perfectly encapsulates that telltale combination of whimsy and darkness characteristic of Christian Anderson’s work. The exhibit also plays with narrative in the same way as the author which excites me to no end because I adore museums that experiment with curating the collection in a way that supports the theme itself like the Mattress Factory or the innovative art galleries that create ulterior worlds to explore, although this museum does look more accessible than those.