CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Sound Editing with Music in Mind

SoundGirls.org: Before audio post-production was even a possibility, composers would incorporate the emotion and the action of what they saw on the screen into their musical scores. They played the role of sound effects editor and composer, with a technique referred to as “Mickey-Mousing” where the composer would exaggerate a character’s movements with specific orchestration and musical motifs. Now that sound FX editors have taken this role in post-production, Mickey-Mousing is less common, so it’s key for sound effects editors to make cuts that work with the music in the overall mix for a film or tv show.

1 comment:

Louise Cutter said...

Before I knew I wanted to be in theatre, I thought I was going to go into film. Specifically, I wanted to do what middle school Louise called “Soundtrack Design”. To me, this meant choosing the songs that play in the background of a movie. I would spend all my free time listening to music and imagining the type of scene it would fit. I deeply appreciated the power of sound. So, when I read this article title it jumped out at me. So much more goes into sound editing than I thought! I already have a great deal of respect for the craft, but this article only made me appreciate it more. During my time so far at Carnegie Mellon, I am learning how little I actually know about things, especially in the theatre industry. It is intimidating, but it also makes me incredibly excited to get to a point where I do understand what is going on. Whether that shows up in the form of “soundtrack design” or PTM or TD (what I am currently interested in), I am ready to learn.