CMU School of Drama


Monday, October 08, 2018

An accidental empire: Maxine Mahon never planned to start a dance company. 50 years later, California Ballet is a San Diego institution

The San Diego Union-Tribune: So many of life’s paths are determined by chance.

San Diegans might never have enjoyed 50 seasons of memorable ballet if it weren’t for a water-skiing accident that ended the career of a promising young accordionist.

“I had just graduated from San Diego State,” recalled Maxine Mahon, who founded the California Ballet Company in 1968 and ran it until earlier this year. “I had studied music for about 12 years, and I played the accordion very well. I got second place in the Western States Accordion Festival. I was supposed to appear on ‘The Lawrence Welk Show.’ My father was beyond ecstatic.”

Mahon chuckled.

No comments: