CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 18, 2018

'Hamilton' star Leslie Odom Jr. talks movies and music on the way to Heinz Hall

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: “Hamilton” is where it all happened for the megahit’s Tony Award-winning star, Leslie Odom Jr.

And when the opportunities began pouring in, he was ready for them.

As the actor-singer-author arrives for a concert with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra on Saturday, he is about to begin filming “Harriet,” playing Harriet Tubman’s Underground Railroad collaborator, William Still, and he is executive producer on an in-development television project.

2 comments:

Vanessa Ramon said...

I am not quite sure why this article made me so happy. Of course, I am always happy to hear about people's successes but I guess being so close to one of the environments that helped shape him makes it so cool to read about. This article does a great job of presenting Leslie Odom Jr. as a whole person and not just a performer. I loved learning about all of the meaningful connections he has in his career such as Thomas Douglas and the Godmother to his child and even his wife who is also a performer. It is inspiring to hear how he made the most of his talents and decided to follow whatever dream he had. It reminds me that you don't have to just one goal in life, that you can achieve one and keep going and changing, as long as you are happy and making those around you happy too.

Emily S said...

First off, congratulations to Leslie Odom Jr. for all that he’s accomplished. It’s obvious that he’s worked incredibly hard to get to where he is now. I love that he has branched out beyond his roots to explore every opportunity that he’s been given. After all of the time, energy, and work that Hamilton demanded of him, it’s very telling of how hard he works that he’s decided to keep pushing himself to do more events. Personally, I would’ve taken a break and gotten some well deserved R&R, but I’m betting he’s not the kind of person to take a break. I also find it amazing how small the world is. I love that his voice coach is conducting his show here in Pittsburgh and that he’s co-starring with one of his Broadway friends on a new show. To me, this shows how important it is to make genuine and real connections with people who inspire you to be your best.