CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 30, 2018

How I Missed The Jeff Awards, or, The Misrepresentation of the Chicago Theatre Community

rescripted.org: Did you know the Jeff Awards were last Monday? If so, you’re already doing better than me. When I returned from working on Pipeline at Indiana Repertory Theatre, I said to a few friends I was planning on going to the Jeffs, which I thought was next Monday (today). I then had a quiet night in my home, scrolling through Facebook, reading scripts and hanging out with my cat, when my friend came over. “Hey!” She said, wine and cheese in hand – how any good friend should arrive at your door – “My boyfriend is at the Jeffs so he won’t be home for a while!” At this point, imagine me, going to the sunken place à la Daniel Kaluuya in Get Out.

1 comment:

Simone Schneeberg said...

I personally have never heard of the Jeff Awards, except for the article posted in the blog about eliminating gendered categories in an effort (maybe?) to promote equality then proceeding to nominate predominantly men regardless. All of the people quoted in this article have a terrible view on these awards and its program, granted there may be some bias given the author’s viewpoint too. However, if the discontentment truly runs this rampant and this wide, I feel it can be easily pressured to change. Stop showing up. If the Jeffs need guests’ ticket money to live then don’t buy tickets. If they take complimentary tickets to nominated shows, don’t let them in. Sure, publicity is what helps a show thrive, but it seems like the Jeff Awards do not even provide that as there was so large of a disconnection in communication that no one even knew to question why the author was off by an entire week.