CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Why Regal's Movie-Theater Surge Pricing Is a Bad Idea

The Atlantic: As movie-ticket sales continue to decline, theater chains are trying to find new ways to sell the cinema experience. AMC Theatres has been adding reserved seating at locations nationwide, with some screens offering a “prime” option with fancy leather recliners. The Alamo Drafthouse is expanding across the country with a model based on food and drink service, one that other smaller indie theaters are starting to embrace as well. But Regal Cinemas, which belongs to the second-largest theater chain in the country, is going for yet another approach: surge pricing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A few weeks ago, I responded to the announcement of Regals’ surge-pricing in agreement and I thought that it was a logical decision based on other industries using the pricing model. The article makes a lot of fair points though. One that primarily stuck out to me is that the already moderately-dying movie theatre industry is already dying and they are trying to take advantage of the situation. Our generation is struggling to find a reason to go to the movie theatre, whether it be Netflix or just waiting to be released digitally, we don’t want to pay extra to do something we can do from the comfort of our home. The live theatre industry is having a similar issue. I’d be curious to know if anyone in my age range would even be interested in the MoviePass idea, but even then, the major theatre companies are looking at taking it down. They are nervous and rightfully so.

Megan Jones said...

I have just subscribed for MoviePass and I think it's a great idea for the both cosumer and for the movie industry. I think people are very stuck in their ways, but this pricing model is the way forward. Look at Spotify for example. I honestly can't remember the last time I actually bought an album as I have all the access I need to music for less than $10 a month. Netflix and Amazon prime steaming is the same way. Why would I buy a DVD when I can simply stream everything I want for $10? MoviePass does that for movie theatres, and on my end it forces me to go see a movie and take some time for myself at least twice a month. All increasing the amount someone will have to pay for a popular movie will do is drive young people away and annoy super fans of those franchises. Unless it is a move all theatres make at once we simply will just go see a movie somewhere else.