CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 28, 2017

LD Nic Farman Provides Intoxicating Looks for The Toxic Avenger – The Musical

Stage Directions: Based on the 1984 cult film in which an aspiring earth scientist transforms into an unlikely superhero after falling into a vat of toxic waste, The Toxic Avenger – The Musical is now earning critical praise in the UK. Driven by an intense rock score by Bon Jovi band member David Bryan and a book by Joe DiPietro, the show is running in London’s West End. Contributing to the bold design of the musical is a richly textured lighting design created by Nic Farman.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know a lot about lighting design as a whole, so this was definitely an interesting read. I've always wanted to learn more about it, as I've seen it be used to incredible effect in many productions, Love's Labors won being the most recent. Lighting can certainly be a powerful tool, I just never really learned about the process behind it. The use of it in The Toxic Avenger, as detailed in the article both looks amazing and has a sound design process and sense of reason behind it. Reading about the thought process behind lighting as a storytelling tool was enlightening to me, and gave me a little more insight into the process. I would've loved to see how this played out in person, but just reading about the process will probably give me a greater appreciation for the lighting design of theater in general going forward.