CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 01, 2017

ETC swims with the sharks – et cetera...

ETC swims with the sharks – et cetera...: The sharks are back – let the deals begin. Returning for its ninth season, Shark Tank got a new time slot and a smart new set and lighting system designed by Oscar Dominguez, focused around ETC fixtures.

First aired in the UK as Dragon’s Den, the show retains its original cast and winning formula. A four-man, two-woman team of tough, self-made millionaire investors dole out advice and, if the deal is right, cash and equity partnerships.

1 comment:

Drew H said...

It’s hard to really tell on TV how much goes into a television show. It was pretty crazy to read about how particular every aspect of the lighting is. The whole concept of picking a fixture based on a persons face seems crazy to me, but I suppose it makes sense. I think we often forget how much time and thought goes into the little things. The unnoticeable can sometimes be incredible. I am also somewhat surprised that the entire rig seems to be ETC. I thought ETC focused more on theater and architecture and that TV studios used much larger, brighter, softer lamps. I suppose that using smaller more focused lights you can create a wash that can be more specific than a giant light. I suppose that is the purpose of “Cyclo-Maximo.” I would love to be able to compare what Shark Tank or another show might look like with this designer vs another designer. Would it be noticeable? Is there a specific style that designers have that you can read off the screen?