CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Rep director seeks to revive love for Arthur Miller's overlooked 'Sons'

TribLIVE: Director Robert A. Miller thinks the theater world treats “All My Sons” as the ignored kid brother. The drama is often overshadowed by playwright Arthur Miller's better-known offspring — “The Crucible,” “Death of a Salesman” and “A View From the Bridge.” He's hoping to change that with the production of “All My Sons” that opens the 2013-14 season for The Rep, Point Park University's professional theatre company.

2 comments:

jgutierrez said...

First of all I found it pretty cool that the son of one of America's greatest playwrights is just up the street. What I found especially interesting is that a theme I commonly find in Arthur Miller plays was also sort of laced into this article. This director feels like this play is the ignored kid brother and some Arthur Miller plays involve two brothers, one in the shadow of the other. I would be interested to know how many sons Arthur Miller had and if perhaps this was a theme in his house too. Anyway, I'd be excited to see this production and how the director is planning to use the nuances in the script to highlight different themes in the story.

Nathan Bertone said...

I agree with Jacquelyn and think that this is a really amazing experience for the actors and designers involved with this production of "All My Sons". To work with the son of one of America's finest playwrights is certainly a fantastic experience! I would love to see this production and see how the director might tie in his own person knowledge of his Father's life. It would also be interesting to see what he thought of the CMU production of "The Crucible". Even though he is the son of Arthur Miller, I don't see him as anything more special than any other director, except for the fact that he has a direct tie to the writer. This could also be rather difficult if the director does not allow for creativity with the production, but rather, does it the way he feels his father would like to have seen it done.