CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 20, 2023

Why Aren't There More Digital Captures of Broadway Shows?

www.broadwayworld.com: A "digital capture" or "live capture" is the industry term referring to the recording by film or video of a stage production. Digital capture is usually done in the theater while the audience watches the show to create a sense of going to the theater. A digital capture is sometimes called a "pro-shot," an abbreviation of a "professional shoot," which differentiates it from an unauthorized bootleg.

1 comment:

Gemma said...

This is a question I’ve wondered about occasionally as my interest in theater has grown (especially with the popularity of Broadway cast albums) and I have moved no closer to it (until now) from my hometown which is very far away from New York. I’ve always assumed it had something to do with rights and compensation, so it was interesting to see the facts as to why there aren’t too many proshots layed out so matter of factly. While not mentioned directly I think it’s really interesting how much theater is available online from outside of the US (I had a subscription to a British theatrical streaming service which had a large number of productions - not West End to be fair but more than any regional US theater that I’ve seen has offered. As someone who lived very far away from New York (not to mention the price of tickets) - filmed pro shot shows were the most accessible way for me to view these works of theater like Hamilton and Come from Away other than their tours that swung by once for one-two weeks.