CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 09, 2023

A LOST BLOG POST: 1873 PINK STRIPED SEASIDE DRESS

Time Traveling in Costume: A long long time ago, I was going to make a pink seaside dress to wear to the Port Townsend Victorian Festival in March of 2020. Due to the Covid Pandemic, that event never happened. So, I thought I would just still make it and have it ready to wear, since some of us who do the fashion show there were talking about just getting together there and strolling around town in seaside dresses, since the weather would be warmer. Except the Lockdown continued longer than any of us thought it would. But I still started it in April that year in the hopes that it would be ready just in case.

1 comment:

Sukie Wang said...

This is just so inspiring and such a good guide for designers to see how pieces can be curated. The amount of work that requires to build a piece like this is definitely enormous as we can see in different pictures and descriptions within this blog. The process and the struggles that has been described in this blog is often sometimes we don’t get to see as costume designers with other’s work because we often see the finished product that is all designed to its finest detail instead of the amount of work that leads up to the design and building the pieces. It is also interesting to me in how these inspirations and references help designers in building a dress in the same time period but in different style. The time in between building this piece is also surprising and fascinating to me because the designer started it in 2020 March but stop and continued with in on 2021 January. I often start projects and stop on them so hopefully I will also get a restart on some of my projects too.